Some problems with the libbsd update

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Fri Aug 24 06:32:02 UTC 2018

On 24/08/2018 15:31, Sebastian Huber wrote:

> Could you then please make suggestions what should be placed where? Is the User
> Manual the landing point for users? This information could be added here:
>
> https://docs.rtems.org/branches/master/user/bsps/index.html

Sure, I will put this on the list and have a play. I am currently working on the
release notes generator from Dannie's GSoC effort plus the newlib docs.

I think the releases need this information more than the development branch.

> My current itch is that I want to move forward with the libbsd and not be
> burdened with work for obsolete and unmaintained architectures which will very
> likely never use libbsd.

I suggest libbsd probes a built and installed RTEMS for the features it needs to
 build and run. If the features are not present the package fails to configure
and cannot be built. It might even be possible to use some libbsd modules and
not others with some archs and BSPs. If RTEMS needs to be altered to provide or
better provide the needed bits and pieces to probe then I suggest that be looked at.

This however leaves open the question of what we would like libbsd to support,
what we do support and what happens with regressions? I wonder if the kernel's
tier approach could be applied to libbsd? It may mean you could concentrate on
the archs and BSPs that are in the libbsd tier 1 or 2 or whatever we decide is
the policy.