Tickets: Milestone vs. Version

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Fri Aug 10 06:10:50 UTC 2018

On 10/08/2018 15:41, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> On 10/08/18 07:38, Chris Johns wrote:
>> On 10/08/2018 15:03, Sebastian Huber wrote:
>>> we want a ticket for each milestone in which it is resolved. What is now the
>>> meaning of the version field?
>>>
>> A ticket may be assigned to a branch but not a milestone. Milestones lets us
>> select which tickets we fix on branch. Once all tickets on a milestone are
>> closed the release can be made.
>>
>> We do not work that way at the moment. I use the milestones when making releases
>> to move tickets scheduled for a release that are not closed to the next release.
>
> This doesn't explain the version field. Is version the same as branch from your
> point of view?

The branch is the version of RTEMS released from that branch. In trac it is
called version, ie 4.11, 4.10, 5 etc. The term version is more accurate, the use
of branch is actually a VC implementation detail.

I think https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/Developer/Release could do with some work.
May be the following from
https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/Developer/Release#ReleaseTerminology should be ...

Release Terminology

- A release is the creation of any generated files and their packaging together
with the source in a repository that makes the package available as a file.
- A release branch is a git branch pushed to the repositories used to create
release. There is a release branch for each version of RTEMS.
- A release is a git tag on a release branch with the tags pushed to the
repositories.

?