covoar SIGKILL Investigation

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Tue Aug 21 07:14:17 UTC 2018

On 21/08/2018 16:55, Vijay Kumar Banerjee wrote:
> I tried running coverage with this latest
> master, covoar is taking up all the memory (7 GB) including the swap (7.6 GB)
> and after a while, still gets killed. :(

I ran rtems-test and created the .cov files and then ran covoar from the command
line (see below). Looking at top while it is running I see covoar topping out
with a size around 1430M. The size is pretty static once the "Loading symbol
sets:" is printed.

I have run covoar under valgrind with a smaller number of executables and made
sure all the allocations are ok.

I get a number of size mismatch messages related the inline functions but that
is a known issue.

> can there be something wrong with my environment?

I have no idea.

> I tried running it on a different system,
> coverage did run for the whole testsuite for score and rtems only.
> (I mentioned the symbols as argument to --coverage)
> but it  doesn't run for all the symbol-sets, strange.

I am not running coverage via the rtems-test command. I have been testing at the
covoar command line.

Can you please try a variant of:

 /opt/work/chris/rtems/rt/rtems-tools.git/build/tester/covoar/covoar \
 -v \
 -S
/opt/work/chris/rtems/rt/rtems-tools.git/tester/rtems/testing/coverage/leon3-qemu-symbols.ini
\
 -O /opt/work/chris/rtems/kernel/bsps/leon3/leon3-qemu-coverage/score \
 -E
/opt/work/chris/rtems/rt/rtems-tools.git/tester/rtems/testing/coverage/Explanations.txt
\
 -p RTEMS-5 `find . -name \*.exe`
?

I have top running at the same time. The foot print grows while the DWARF info
and .cov files are loaded which is

Thanks