covoar SIGKILL Investigation

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Tue Aug 21 23:29:48 UTC 2018

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018, 4:05 PM Vijay Kumar Banerjee <vijaykumar9597 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Aug 2018 at 01:55, Joel Sherrill <joel at rtems.org> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Aug 21, 2018, 1:59 PM Vijay Kumar Banerjee <
>> vijaykumar9597 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> it's turned off. :)
>>>

>> Just checking. That code isn't ready yet. :)
>>

>>> After a lot of different attempts I realized that I just needed to waf
>>> build after pulling the new changes. Sorry about that.
>>>

>> Lol. It is always the dumb things.
>>
>> It did run successfully !
>>> I'm now running coverage with rtems-test for the whole testsuite, I will
>>> be reporting about it soon :)
>>>

>> How long is covoar taking for the entire set?
>>
>> It works great. this is what `time` says
> --------
> real 17m49.887s
> user 14m25.620s
> sys 0m37.847s
> --------

What speed and type of processor do you have?

I don't recall it taking near this long in the past. I used to run it as
part of development. But we may have more tests and the code has changed.
Reading dwarf with the file open/closes, etc just may be more expensive
than parsing the text files. But it is more accurate and lays the
groundwork.for more types of analysis.

Eventually we will have to profile this code. Whatever is costly is done
for each exe so there is a multiplier.

I suspect this code would parallelize reading info from the exes fairly
well.  Merging the info and generating the reports not well due to data
contention.

But optimizing too early and the wrong way is not smart.

Not that I am complaining, it takes minutes to do a doc build these days