waf and Python 3.7

Christian Mauderer list at c-mauderer.de
Mon Dec 17 20:21:09 UTC 2018

Hello,

I have trouble building rtems-tools (via source builder) on an
Arch-Linux machine with a Python 3.7. I searched for the problem and
found out that it is due to an old waf version in the rtems-tools repo.
The bug is fixed since 9 months and newer versions of waf don't have a
problem with it (see [1]).

Now I noted that we already have four repositories with different
versions of waf:

- rtems-docs: waf 1.9.7
- rtems-libbsd: waf 2.0.1
- rtems-tools: waf 1.9.9
- examples-v2: waf 2.0.1

There is quite some potential that we get some more repos. I don't have
a problem to create four patches to update them to 2.0.13 now. But I'm
not sure whether it is an ideal solution to pack waf with every repo.
What do you think? Are there any good alternatives?

Best regards

Christian Mauderer

[1]
https://gitlab.com/ita1024/waf/commit/facdc0b173d933073832c768ec1917c553cb369c