GCC 8 PowerPC Argument Changes

dufault at hda.com dufault at hda.com
Sun Feb 11 18:24:43 UTC 2018

I should be following the status of the SPE support but haven’t, it’s an important platform for one of my clients.  A little googling doesn’t make it clear how well the support is moving in to GCC 8, I only found again that it would be a new target.  Hopefully someone following GCC on the list has been paying attention to this and knows whether or not it’s really being supported.

> On Feb 11, 2018, at 12:08 , Joel Sherrill <joel at rtems.org> wrote:
>

> On Feb 11, 2018 11:29 AM, "Peter Dufault" <dufault at hda.com <mailto:dufault at hda.com>> wrote:
> What’s the context where -mno-spe is used?  The last time I followed this the SPE support in the powerpc target was to be discontinued and a powerpcspe target was to be introduced.
>
> It is in one of the PowerPC BSP family variants.
>
> I don't know the state of SPE support in GCC but guess I need to ask.
>
> I suppose we just move the arguments to match GCC 8 when the RSB bumps to that.
>

>> On Feb 9, 2018, at 16:17 , Joel Sherrill <joel at rtems.org <mailto:joel at rtems.org>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> I am using GCC 8 to test my bsp_specs changes. On the
>> powerpc -mno-spe is gone.
>>
>> I don't know of a case where we have a BSP that checks
>> if GCC supports an argument or not. I think we have just
>> changed the custom file when we upgraded GCC.
>>
>> Any thoughts on the correct argument or better approach
>> than just to change the custom file when we bump GCC?
>>
>> Thanks.

> Peter
> Peter Dufault
> HD Associates, Inc.      Software and System Engineering
>
> This email is delivered through the public internet using protocols subject to interception and tampering.

Peter
Peter Dufault

This email is delivered through the public internet using protocols subject to interception and tampering.