No preinstall and rtems.git master freeze

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Wed Jan 3 14:47:53 UTC 2018

On Sat, Dec 23, 2017 at 7:52 PM, Chris Johns <chrisj at rtems.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a branch called 'no-preinstall' in a personal repo:
>
>  https://git.rtems.org/chrisj/rtems.git/?h=no-preinstall
>
> It builds a beagleboneblack without networking and not much else looking at the
> results of a tier-1 build:
>
>  https://lists.rtems.org/pipermail/build/2017-December/000324.html
>
> It is now a process of working through the issues. A brief review shows a mix of
> source referencing a local header, ie '#include "cs8900.h"' and the header is
> now in a fixed part of the header API tree, or build related issues like the
> Xilinx Zynq's linkercmds file is not being found. The linkcmds files are now
> referenced in the source and not copied and renamed to the build tree which
> exposes issues in some BSPs.
>
> I will start to push changes onto my personal branch. Please post patches
> against the branch to this list and I will merge them. I need help or this will
> take a while to complete.
>
> I suggest we freeze the rtems.git master branch if this is possible until we get
> the no-preinstall changes merged.

What are the conditions to "thaw" it / when do you expect to be
comfortable merging the branch?

Is there any point to freezing the master versus merging your branch
as it is and fixing it? I guess some users who grab master will
encounter trouble, so perhaps not great.

> Should I post the changes for review or can the branch I listed above we OK for
> review purposes?

I believe the branch listed is OK for review purposes.