No preinstall and rtems.git master freeze

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Thu Jan 4 07:38:42 UTC 2018

On 4/1/18 1:47 am, Gedare Bloom wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 23, 2017 at 7:52 PM, Chris Johns <chrisj at rtems.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a branch called 'no-preinstall' in a personal repo:
>>
>>  https://git.rtems.org/chrisj/rtems.git/?h=no-preinstall
>>
>> It builds a beagleboneblack without networking and not much else looking at the
>> results of a tier-1 build:
>>
>>  https://lists.rtems.org/pipermail/build/2017-December/000324.html
>>
>> It is now a process of working through the issues. A brief review shows a mix of
>> source referencing a local header, ie '#include "cs8900.h"' and the header is
>> now in a fixed part of the header API tree, or build related issues like the
>> Xilinx Zynq's linkercmds file is not being found. The linkcmds files are now
>> referenced in the source and not copied and renamed to the build tree which
>> exposes issues in some BSPs.
>>
>> I will start to push changes onto my personal branch. Please post patches
>> against the branch to this list and I will merge them. I need help or this will
>> take a while to complete.
>>
>> I suggest we freeze the rtems.git master branch if this is possible until we get
>> the no-preinstall changes merged.
>>
> What are the conditions to "thaw" it / when do you expect to be
> comfortable merging the branch?

I have worked on this task over the break and I have passed the baton to
Sebastian who is now working on it while I am consumed landscaping the backyard.

> Is there any point to freezing the master versus merging your branch
> as it is and fixing it? I guess some users who grab master will
> encounter trouble, so perhaps not great.

The issue is header changes break the moved files.

>> Should I post the changes for review or can the branch I listed above we OK for
>> review purposes?
>>
> I believe the branch listed is OK for review purposes.

I believe this is the path Sebastian will now follow.

This is a major change and it is working well considering the size of the
change. I feel this level of shake up will have issues and we will need to
address those as they are uncovered. I also think there are places we can
improve what we do so some parts of what has been done is to keep the changes
manageable.