No preinstall and rtems.git master freeze

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Thu Jan 4 14:15:58 UTC 2018

On 04/01/18 08:38, Chris Johns wrote:
> On 4/1/18 1:47 am, Gedare Bloom wrote:
>> On Sat, Dec 23, 2017 at 7:52 PM, Chris Johns <chrisj at rtems.org> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have a branch called 'no-preinstall' in a personal repo:
>>>
>>>   https://git.rtems.org/chrisj/rtems.git/?h=no-preinstall
>>>
>>> It builds a beagleboneblack without networking and not much else looking at the
>>> results of a tier-1 build:
>>>
>>>   https://lists.rtems.org/pipermail/build/2017-December/000324.html
>>>
>>> It is now a process of working through the issues. A brief review shows a mix of
>>> source referencing a local header, ie '#include "cs8900.h"' and the header is
>>> now in a fixed part of the header API tree, or build related issues like the
>>> Xilinx Zynq's linkercmds file is not being found. The linkcmds files are now
>>> referenced in the source and not copied and renamed to the build tree which
>>> exposes issues in some BSPs.
>>>
>>> I will start to push changes onto my personal branch. Please post patches
>>> against the branch to this list and I will merge them. I need help or this will
>>> take a while to complete.
>>>
>>> I suggest we freeze the rtems.git master branch if this is possible until we get
>>> the no-preinstall changes merged.
>>>
>> What are the conditions to "thaw" it / when do you expect to be
>> comfortable merging the branch?
> I have worked on this task over the break and I have passed the baton to
> Sebastian who is now working on it while I am consumed landscaping the backyard.

I updated my no-preinstall branch today (see also patch set posted to
devel at rtems.org today):

https://git.rtems.org/sebh/rtems.git/log/?h=no-preinstall

All BSPs build and link the samples. Test results on erc32 are all right:

https://lists.rtems.org/pipermail/build/2018-January/000328.html

The major remaining issue is the header file installation.

>> Is there any point to freezing the master versus merging your branch
>> as it is and fixing it? I guess some users who grab master will
>> encounter trouble, so perhaps not great.
> The issue is header changes break the moved files.

The master branch should be stable and buildable all the time.

E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de