no-preinstall: Architecture-specific header files

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Tue Jan 23 14:53:41 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 4:17 AM, Sebastian Huber
<sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de> wrote:
> On 22/01/18 22:03, Chris Johns wrote:
>>
>> On 19/1/18 6:21 pm, Sebastian Huber wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> the architecture-specific header files are currently in:
>>>
>>> cpukit/score/cpu/@RTEMS_CPU@
>>>
>>> For example:
>>>
>>> cpukit/score/cpu/sparc/rtems/score/cpu.h
>>>
>>> The new include directory for architecture-specific header files after
>>> the
>>> preinstall removal is:
>>>
>>> cpukit/score/cpu/@RTEMS_CPU@/include
>>>
>>> For example:
>>>
>>> cpukit/score/cpu/sparc/include/rtems/score/cpu.h
>>>
>>> There are two problems with this.
>>>
>>> 1. It introduces yet another sub-directory and makes the path longer.
>>>
>>> 2. It moves header files which are in this place since 1999. Using
>>> cpukit/score/cpu/@RTEMS_CPU@ as the include directory would avoid this.
>>>
>> Thank you for raising this. It is bit inconsistent.
>>
>>> This should be the last time we move header files around. It is very easy
>>> move include directories in the no-preinstall branch.
>>>
>>> Other options for architecture-specific header files are:
>>>
>>> cpukit/score/cpu/@RTEMS_CPU@
>>
>> If this has source files and maybe private headers we should not add use
>> this path.
>

> There are no private header files, e.g.
>
> find cpukit/score/cpu/ -name '*.h' | grep -v include
>
> finds nothing in the no-preinstall branch.
>
> There are source files in cpukit/score/cpu/@RTEMS_CPU at .
>

>>> cpukit/@RTEMS_CPU@/include
>>>
>>> cpukit/arch/@RTEMS_CPU@/include
>>>
>>> cpukit/cpu/@RTEMS_CPU@/include
>>>
>>> cpukit/include/@RTEMS_CPU@
>>
>> I think this is a good place but I am concerned about 2 -I paths, one a
>> sub path
>> of another. Is that a problem?
>

> You can find some header files via two paths, e.g.
>
> #include <powerpc/rtems/score/cpu.h>
> #include <rtems/score/cpu.h>
>
> I am not sure if this is a bug or a feature.

If we move them, I prefer this cpukit/include/@RTEMS_CPU@ because it
is easier to find header files while browsing the cpukit source tree,
there is only one place to look in the include subtree. I'm also ok
with cpukit/include/arch/@RTEMS_CPU@ to further organize them, which
was not an option you listed.