[GSOC - Tracing] Status Update

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Mon Jul 2 05:27:35 UTC 2018

Hello Vidushi,

On 29/06/18 09:44, Vidushi Vashishth wrote:

>         >Could you please create a self-contained repository which contains
>
>         >* a README
>
>         >* a simple RTEMS application which runs on a simulator BSP
>
>         >* the stuff that makes it possible to view the trace output
>         (it is not a problem if it doesn't work, but all pieces should
>         be included)
>
>         >The repository should not be a clone of some larger project.
>         It may contain external references as submodules.
>
>         Okay. Got it. I will update you when its done.
>

>     Ok, do you have a time estimate for this? Which parts are missing?
>

> Viewing the trace output is buggy right now. I will have to combine
> the rest. I will push the required things in the repository by end of
> today and notify you.

the stuff you published here

https://github.com/VidushiVashishth/Tracing

yesterday (this is not "by end of today") is not much considering this
the 8th week of the GSoC project.

You seem to have imported cpukit/libmisc/shell/main_rtrace.c and
modified it. The modifications are not visible in the repository
history. Why did yo copy this file out of the RTEMS sources at all?

There is no Makefile (or similar). You have to read the documentation to
build it. You cannot copy and past the instructions to build it since it
contains your local paths.

The test data is generated with user input.

How can I transfer the test data generated on the simulator to my host
development system?

I asked for a self-contained repository, with"the stuff that makes it
possible to view the trace output". This is missing.

Could you please:

1. Not copy sources out of the RTEMS repository. Before you do this, ask
on the mailing list and explain why have have to do it.

2. If you import things, then import the original files and state the
origin.

3. Clearly document your modifications in separate commit messages.

4. Add a Makefile to build it automatically.

5. Add the missing stuff that makes it possible to view the trace
output. If something is not available yet, then no problem. Just
document the interfaces and what it is supposed to do.

6. Document the steps involved in the tracing, e.g. trace data
generation on the RTEMS target, transfer of the data to the development
host, conversion of trace data in format X to Y using tool Z, etc.
Document the interfaces between the different steps and what runs on the
RTEMS target and what runs on the development host.

To get the trace data from the simulator to the development host, you
can just dump the data via printf() and parse it on the host. This is
slow, but enough for a test scenario.

You should be able to do this in a couple of hours.

E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de