Gcov support in Covoar

Vijay Kumar Banerjee vijaykumar9597 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 07:55:37 UTC 2018

On 4 July 2018 at 13:09, Chris Johns <chrisj at rtems.org> wrote:

> On 4/7/18 5:38 pm, Chris Johns wrote:
> > On 4/7/18 4:52 pm, Vijay Kumar Banerjee wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm starting this thread for discussions on the gcov support
> >> in covoar.
> >>
> >> Current status is that the code in it (like in GcovData.cc) remained
> untouched
> >> for a long time and it had not been updated after the source
> tree reorganization
> >> which is why it runs into segmentation
> >> fault while trying to find the source files.
> >>
> >> Joel was suggesting to copy the file gcov-io.h from the gcc
> >> source after a license discussion here.
> >
> > What license the file's license?
>
> Sorry .. What is the file's license?
>
> GPL version 3

> > We are aiming to have all code under the RTEMS Tools under a BSD or
> compatible
> > license. Are there other options that have a more suitable license?
> >
> > Also, could you please explain how gcov fits into the coverage testing?

gcov is a test coverage program by gcc that generates
statement-by-statement profiling.
(https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Gcov-Intro.html)

once we're able to generate gcov reports we can run graphical tools like
lcov or gcovr
to generate html and xml reports with detailed coverage data.
an example of lcov report:
http://ltp.sourceforge.net/coverage/lcov/output/example/methods/iterate.c.gcov.html