Bumping binutils and gcc

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Thu Jul 19 18:47:07 UTC 2018

On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 1:40 PM, Sebastian Huber <

> ----- Am 19. Jul 2018 um 17:53 schrieb joel joel at rtems.org:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > Just curious if it was time to bump binutils to 2.31
> > and gcc to 8.1 (or 8.2 when out) for the targets
> > that we can.
>
> How does this get us closer to a RTEMS 5.1 release? At least for ARM and
> PowerPC it is a bit of work to upgrade to GCC 8+. I would do this after the
> release.

I don't have any idea except that it means the GCC we pick has a longer
support life left.
Chris should comment but he is expected to be largely offline until late
next week.

I see 88 tickets in process or new so there are lots of hold ups at the
moment.

> An update to Binutils 2.31.1 is fine. It is already on my todo list, since
> it is required for the RISC-V tool chain consolidation.

Does a GCC bump help RISC-V?

--joel