coverage : error when running --coverage with rtems-test for whole testsuites

Vijay Kumar Banerjee vijaykumar9597 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 22:19:49 UTC 2018

On Fri, Jul 20, 2018, 10:08 PM Joel Sherrill <joel at rtems.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 9:14 AM, Gedare Bloom <gedare at rtems.org> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 6:29 PM, Vijay Kumar Banerjee
>> <vijaykumar9597 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I used the following command
>> >
>> > ====================
>> > $HOME/development/rtems/test/rtems-tools/tester/rtems-test \
>> > --rtems-tools=$HOME/development/rtems/5 --log=coverage_analysis.log \
>> > --no-clean --coverage=score --rtems-bsp=leon3-qemu-cov \
>> >
>> /home/lunatic/development/rtems/kernel/leon3/sparc-rtems5/c/leon3/testsuites
>> > --debug-trace=cov
>> > ====================
>> >
>> > and I'm getting the following error
>> >
>> > ===================
>> > error: coverage: covoar failure:: -9
>> > ===================
>> >

>> What does error code -9 mean from covoar?
>>
>> Does it make any progress at all?
>>

> Can you capture the command line used to invoke covoar and
> run it in gdb? That's an odd error message. covoar is usually
> good at printing something useful. It was written to be paranoid.

yes I'm trying to run it in gdb, the laptop
freezes for a long time and I have to
restart it, I'll give it more time tommorow
and let it take as much time as it wants

It runs fine for samples/ so we're searching
for a small test case where it trips, so
I'll run it separately for each set of tests,
like benchmarks/ , fstests/ ...

>> > This, however, runs fine for samples/
>> >

>> does this command work for you without using the cov options?
>>
>> > I think this will probably be on hold as Chris seems to be
>> > on a break, meanwhile, I want to do a wrapup work on
>> > the non-gcov coverage reports, I seek suggestions/advice
>> > for the same.
>> >
>> > The current state is that the coverage reports can be generated
>> > for one symbol-set only, There's a ticket for the support of
>> > generating separate reports of multiple sets from covoar.
>> >
>> > https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/3441
>

> I thought originally that the Python would invoke covoar multiple
> times. It was slower but that was how it was originally designed.
> Is there no support in the Python for doing this?

I was building it in a way that the script invokes
covoar multiple times, but Chris' modifications
to covoar added support for reading multiple symbol-sets
after which I changed the coverage script.

If we're planning to have this support in
the python script untill covoar is updated,
then I can add it.