configure/make with multiple jobs error?

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Wed Jun 6 01:02:48 UTC 2018

On 31/5/18 2:56 am, Gedare Bloom wrote:
> On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 12:15 PM, Gedare Bloom <gedare at rtems.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 12:10 PM, Gedare Bloom <gedare at rtems.org> wrote:
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I got a strange error just now with a fresh toolchain and current master.
>>>
>>> I did:
>>> $ ../../rtems/configure --target=sparc-rtems5 --enable-rtemsbsp=erc32
>>> --enable-tests
>>> This was OK.
>>>
>>> $ make -j4
>>> This errored out with:
>>> checking for gawk... gawk
>>> checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
>>> checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... no
>>> checking for RTEMS_BSP... erc32
>>> checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
>>> configure: error: Invalid BSP
>>> configure: error:
>>> ../../../../../../../../rtems/c/src/lib/libbsp/sparc/configure failed
>>> for lib/libbsp/sparc
>>> Makefile:731: recipe for target 'erc32' failed
>>> make[2]: *** [erc32] Error 1
>>> make[2]: Leaving directory '/media/gedare/Seagate Expansion
>>> Drive/work/rtems/builds/b-erc32-5/sparc-rtems5/c'
>>> Makefile:289: recipe for target 'all-recursive' failed
>>> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>>> make[1]: Leaving directory '/media/gedare/Seagate Expansion
>>> Drive/work/rtems/builds/b-erc32-5/sparc-rtems5/c'
>>> Makefile:414: recipe for target 'all-recursive' failed
>>> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>>>

> This error about Invalid BSP still occurs for me with a cleaned local
> repo where I removed all the old files/directories. Maybe I missed a
> change in developer workflow, but I think I am tripped a concurrency
> bug in configure script still, because 'make' proceeds....
>
>>> $ make
>>> This works.
>>>

>> Actually, this did not work all the way, it broke later. I think I
>> have leftover files/directories in my libbsp (I haven't built since
>> the cleanup/move was done) that could be causing me problems. I'll
>> report back in a bit after I clean this stuff out.
>>

> But I still get an error eventually here, too:

Is this still only with a concurrent build?

> make[4]: Entering directory '/media/gedare/Seagate Expansion
> Drive/work/rtems/builds/b-erc32-5/sparc-rtems5/c/erc32/lib/libbsp'

I wonder if some of the internal shell script processing we have is safe with a
space in a path?

What type of bus is this drive connected too?

Is this a VM or native on a host?