(release notes generator) How to convert python dictionary to release notes using sphinx?

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Fri Jun 8 00:42:11 UTC 2018

On 08/06/2018 05:21, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 1:45 PM, Gedare Bloom <gedare at rtems.org
> <mailto:gedare at rtems.org>> wrote:
>
>     Hello Chris, Dannie,
>
>     I am leaning toward a lighter method such as markdown for the release
>     notes. They are not necessary to be a beautifully formatted document.
>     Some basic document sectioning, lists, and url support seems
>     sufficient to me. This would also be easily parseable by other tools
>     in case someone wants to write some further scripts to process the
>     release notes, for example, to generate traceability documentation.
>
> I am OK with using something simple like markdown.

Simple is the best path at this point in time. We may also create an XML file if
there is time to help users downstream integrate the changes into any workflows
they have.

> The output needs
> to be "acceptable", not "beautiful". Plus I expect that there will be things
> in some tickets which are nearly impossible to pass through any processing
> and formatter without getting mangled. Might as well keep it simple.

Sounds like a challenge. :)

> Is there documentation on the markdown format supported by the RSB?

https://python-markdown.github.io/
https://github.com/Python-Markdown/markdown

There are a number of extensions which are nice ...

https://git.rtems.org/rtems-source-builder/tree/source-builder/sb/reports.py#n379

> I assume it can be used to produce PDF and HTML.

There is nothing in this markdown package to create PDF ...

https://git.rtems.org/rtems-source-builder/tree/source-builder/sb/markdown/__init__.py#n69

It can create xhtml and there is this package:

https://github.com/xhtml2pdf/xhtml2pdf/tree/master/xhtml2pdf

or there is the webkit to PDF converter I am currently using.