All installed host tools are removed from the RTEMS sources - next steps?

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Mon Jun 18 05:41:51 UTC 2018

Hello,

I finished the tasks to remove the installed host tools from the RTEMS
sources. Only one tool was moved to the RTEMS tools - rtems-bin2c. The
other tools were remove due to license issues, limited usability, or
general obsolescence. Now, a host compiler is no longer necessary to
build RTEMS. This can be used to simplify the RTEMS build, since we only
have to deal with the cross compiler.

The BSP sources and header files were moved some weeks ago to "bsps/*",
but the build files (configure.ac and Makefile.am) are still in "c". The
next goal is to move also the build files to "bsps/*". The long term
goal is the introduction of a new build system based on waf. Each change
in the current build system should make it easier to introduce the new
build system.

I think one result of previous discussions is to use pkg-config format
for BSP-specific build system input as a replacement of the
bsps/*/*/config/*.cfg files.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pkg-config

We could temporarily add a Makefile rule to generate the first version
of the new BSP-specific file, e.g. bsps/arch/bsp/config/some-bsp.pc.
Then build all BSPs to get the initial content for the RTEMS sources.

What do we want to do with the standard Makefile support in "c/src/make"
and "make"?

E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de