GSoC 2018 (x86_64, pc386, SMP improvements, rump kernels)

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Mon Mar 12 20:34:41 UTC 2018

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 3:20 PM, Gedare Bloom <gedare at rtems.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 12:41 PM, Amaan Cheval <amaan.cheval at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 9:53 PM Gedare Bloom <gedare at rtems.org> wrote:

> > review is

> > protocols

> >> I would be supportive of formal specification or strong APA projects
> >> despite user demand.
> >
> > That's good to know! I'll look into it! :)

> >> There is a need for a modernized framework for x86 and x86_64. Both
> >> projects are relevant and important.
> >
> > That's good to know. I haven't been able to quite tease the 2 projects
> > apart; for eg. it seems the x86_64 BSP would also be based on non-legacy
> > hardware (UEFI vs. BIOS?), so it would be tied to improving the existing
> > PC386 code as well.
> >
> > I think my main proposal will be along these lines; figuring out the
> > essentials for the x86_64 BSP, and modernizing the existing x86 as I can
> at
> > the same time.
> >
> > How does that sound?
> >

> I think that should be appropriate. You should be able to demonstrate
> progress on the new BSP then, while you contribute code to the old
> one.

When Chris and I have discussed this in the past, we have tossed around
the idea of a new port -- x86_64,. a true 64-bit port. It would have a new
BSP that would not depend on legacy hardware and would boot using UEFI.

To pace this out so it is achievable in a summer, the first steps would
focus on the port proper and do the minimum required of a BSP to get
it running on qemu. Real HW would be a sanity check. Focus on a port
and minimum BSP (initialization, console, clock tick).

Chris has suggested that the BSP could use whatever it needed from
FreeBSD, such as UEFI support.

Key.. new port.. new BSP.. without the legacy baggage of 32-bit and old HW.
More work but a much better result in the long run.