x86_64 port and BSP (GSoC 2018)

Amaan Cheval amaan.cheval at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 06:24:00 UTC 2018

Hey everyone!

Here's a link to a draft of my proposal (also shared through the GSoC
website, and linked to on the wiki):
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1X79Yj0DNqvaDFqpJMUX4gF3WC550GDvVDS5QufvAnFE/edit?usp=sharing

I'd appreciate all comments - even if you're just skimming, let me know if
you have something to say!

I have a few questions too, which I'd appreciate help with:

Regarding the proposal:

- Does it seem like I'm committing too little / too much?
- Are there any issues I've completely overlooked? Something I've
oversimplified / that I may not realize the scope / difficulty of?
- It seems like Chris (cc'd) owns the x86_64 ticket - would Chris be a
potential mentor, or is ticket ownership not indicative of who the mentor
might be?

Misc:

- I noticed that this project has been proposed in the past, at least
twice. Is there any constructive criticism from the proposals back then
that I could learn from?
- In the proposals, I've left some tasks about the x86_64 rtems-tools
highlighted in red because I'm hoping to test the tools before the proposal
deadline to have a clearer idea for the timeline. The ticket[1] lists some
tasks regarding the tools, but I'm not sure what the status of them is yet,
or how to carry the tasks out quite yet. I aim to tackle this as soon as
possible, but if you can provide any guidance, I'd appreciate that.

Thanks!

[1] https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/2898#Tools