x86_64 port and BSP (GSoC 2018)

Amaan Cheval amaan.cheval at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 07:36:07 UTC 2018

Thanks for checking the tool status!

TLS support for the tool seems okay to me as well - I see the TLS program
header and the "T" flag for the ".tbss" section header, as you'd expect in
the ELF. I haven't looked into the run-time support for TLS in RTEMS yet -
is there something I need to dig into there?

How do we determine if we need multilib support?

>  I'd encourage you to flesh out
> the plan for one of the "bonus" areas for this phase. That way, if you
> reach it, you will be prepared to undertake it without having to think
> too hard about the design aspects.

I've added a few bullets about SMP support and it's SMP-specific APIC
related tasks.

> FYI one step I do for new ports is to get to the point where I can link
all tests with stubs or first quick cuts at the port and bsp.

That's a good tip! I've added that to the phase 1 deliverable, since it
seems like an important step - I'll aim to get here much sooner, though.

> I have always thought the first part of this project would be to get
> an UEFI "hello world" running on Qemu. That is the entry point to the
> BSP and as Chris pointed out, there is a fair amount of work just
> to ensure you can do prints to the optional video and later serial port.

The UEFI "hello world" would be achievable through a minimal BSP (primarily
boot/init code) and stubs for the rest (console, idle thread clock, fake
context-switching & ISR handling), right?

> All that should be doable and testable on qemu.

Sweet! A question about hardware requirements; how do you guys usually test
and debug hardware problems? Is there any equipment I'll likely need or
should look into (JTAG)?

Besides, what should I verify about the computers I do have, besides them
having UEFI firmware?