GSOC Weekly IRC Meetings

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Fri May 11 14:05:09 UTC 2018

The coding period officially opens on Monday, and we'll plan to hold
the first weekly IRC meeting for GSoC Students next Wednesday, May 16
at 10 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time (EDT), which is UTC-4. During these
meetings, we don't have time to get into deep technical discussions,
which you should be having with your mentor / the development
community. Mentors and others from the community are welcome to come,
but this time is meant as a tag-up to make sure the students as a
whole are progressing.

Each meeting follows the same basic format:
1. Announcements by organizer (usually me or Joel)
2. Student Updates: What you did, what you plan to do, difficulties
you encounter, and brief Q&A with organizer/mentors.
3. Wrap-up

Typically each student should take about 5 minutes, and the entire
meeting should about 30-45 minutes. The meeting organizer will call on
each student to go in turn. If you have a need to go early in the
meeting, you should communicate that to the organizer. You are however
expected to attend every meeting in its entirety as part of your
participation in the GSoC program. Repeatedly missing meetings,
leaving early, or not paying attention will reflect poorly on your
participation. Special circumstances do arise, and you should discuss
those with the org admins (me, Joel, Chris) and your mentors.

It can help if you prepare your update ahead of time so you can
copy-paste in IRC when it is your turn. You will also report your
status update on the Student Tracking Page [1]. We use this as a
history of the meetings.

[1] https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/GSoC/2018#StudentStatusUpdates

Gedare