x86_64 port and BSP (GSoC 2018)

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Mon May 14 12:34:01 UTC 2018

On Mon, May 14, 2018, 7:12 AM Sebastian Huber <

> On 14/05/18 14:09, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> > On Mon, May 14, 2018, 7:07 AM Sebastian Huber
> > <sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
> > <mailto:sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de>> wrote:
> >
> >     On 14/05/18 13:14, Amaan Cheval wrote:
> >     > Regarding naming, how about we settle on something like
> >     > "bsps/amd64/amd64_generic", borrowing from how the riscv target is
> >     > structured?
> >
> >     In case you want to name the new architecture "amd64", then the tool
> >     chain should be renamed as well, currently we have
> >     x86_64-rtems5-gcc, etc.
> >

> > The target is picked after the GNU target name. We have always agreed
> > with the GNU target name.
>
> Ok, makes sense. Will the new stuff support the 32-bit instruction set?

I have no idea. On a native Linux or BSD toolset, does -m32 produce the
same 32 bit ABI code as i386-elf?

I am pretty sure our x86_64 toolset does not have the 32 bit multilibs.

In fairness, even though x86_64 appears to be the canonical name, maybe
amd64 is an acceptable alias. Internally, the tools use x86_64 though.

I would prefer to stick to the canonical name internally.