gcov support in Covoar

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Mon May 14 15:51:11 UTC 2018

On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 10:19 AM, Vijay Kumar Banerjee <
vijaykumar9597 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The coverage report is showing some data now (txt only). There is still
> some work needed to be done for it to get merged with the main repo. As it
> depends on the ongoing work on the covoar.cc and coverage.py, meanwhile I
> want to get started with the gcov support in covoar as I already have some
> coverage data in txt format to compare with .
>
> I would like to know the following points to get started:
>
>     1. What is the current state of the gcov support in covoar. I can see
> work on GcovData and GcovFunction data in covoar, what's the current status
> of it ?

Technically unknown, potentially bit rotted.

>     2. Did it use to run at some point? seeing it in action will be very
> helpful.

It used to produce .gcov files that could be processed by gcov and produce
reports.

Once you started to compare the reports to the native reports from covoar,
you would sometimes see places that covoar thought some code was executed
that did not show up in the gcov generated report. When I investigated, I
got far enough to know we had executed the code in question.

>     3. What are the listed blockers rn ? Other than the reliability of the
> report .

That's it. Get it working and then let's work on automation, use of lcov,
etc. Along the way, I am sure we will spot the difference in reporting.
Then that will have to be fixed.

>     4. are there any tickets related to gcov?

Not from RTEMS' perspective.

One challenge we had previously is that the .gcov file format was only
documented in the header file. That was why I asked for someone from the
gcc community to help us once we spot difference. Hopefully they can help
us figure out what is wrong with the file covoar is producing.