BSP for Microchip ATSAMA5D27-SOM1-EK1

dufault at hda.com dufault at hda.com
Mon Nov 26 17:37:10 UTC 2018

It will be some work to update.  I believe what’s in the existing port is from this:
atmel-software-package-samv7:  Legacy software package for samv7, same70 and sams70 product families.
while the newest software that supports the ATSAMA5 is here, with a different directory layout.
atmel-software-package: Atmel Software Package

> On Nov 25, 2018, at 14:45 , Christian Mauderer <list at c-mauderer.de> wrote:
>
> Hello Peter,
>
> Thomas mentioned already the bug that has been reported to Microchip.
> Please note that I had two more problems with the BSP on another
> customers board:
>
> - The core clock couldn't be set to the maximum frequency from the data
> sheet. Both possible configurations for that frequency didn't work. The
> first one would have set the PLL to the same frequency as the CPU core
> clock. With that the system was not stable. The other setting (a divider
> of two after the PLL) seemed to work better but that forced me to set
> the PLL to a higher frequency than the data sheet specified. I ended up
> with the lower frequency.
>
> - The external SDRAM seemed to introduce some jitter into the core PLL
> too (not only in the USB PLL which was the reason for the USB bug). With
> higher frequency configurations the system sometimes had an odd
> behaviour: A comparison went wrong when it should go well. Again that
> lead to a slightly lower frequency that seemed stable. So the board now
> runs on only about two thirds of the maximum frequency specified by
> Microchip.
>
> If you still want to use the ATSAM chip: Microchip managed to get a
> better community around the libraries that are used in the BSP for that
> chip. There is a newer version of them somewhere on github. If there is
> funding for it, I would suggest to update the ones that are integrated
> in the ATSAM BSP by the newer ones. They contain quite some bug fixes.
> But it will need some work to do that.
>
> With kind regards
>
> Christian Mauderer
>
> Am 25.11.18 um 19:42 schrieb dufault at hda.com:
>> Thank you for the advice.  I will not need USB, but will need SDRAM and
>> don’t need poor support.  Microchip? You tried to push RTEMS for this
>> platform tied to space applications, are you monitoring this?  The
>> platform looks like just what I need but not if you’re not supporting it.
>>
>>> On Nov 25, 2018, at 13:23 , Thomas Dörfler
>>> <thomas.doerfler at embedded-brains.de
>>> <mailto:thomas.doerfler at embedded-brains.de>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Peter,
>>>
>>> just to make you aware: we designed a board with the ATSAMV7 chip and
>>> hit some nasty and at least one really ugly bug: operating the USB
>>> interface concurrently with external SDRAM does not work. Half a year
>>> after reporting this bug, Microchip confirmed it, but did not plan any
>>> fix for it. BTW: The conbination (USB+SDRAM) was also available on
>>> Microchip's evaluation board, but obviously was not tested together at
>>> Microchips labs...
>>>
>>> So: I recommend you to tripple check, whether the ATSAMA5 meets all of
>>> your expectations.
>>>

>>> Kind regards,
>>>
>>> Thomas.

Peter
Peter Dufault

This email is delivered through the public internet using protocols subject to interception and tampering.