Waf version

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Tue Oct 30 06:14:35 UTC 2018

On 30/10/2018 17:04, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> On 30/10/2018 06:50, Chris Johns wrote:
>> On 26/10/2018 05:26, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Some of the rtems repos that use waf have a copy of waf at the top of the tree,
>>> rtems-libbsd doesn't. I filed https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/3553 about this. I
>>> used the waf from examples-v2 to build it myself.
>>>
>>> What version of waf should I commit to this repo? It is definitely better for it
>>> to be a version under our control that we recommend.
>>>
>> I think we should move to the latest.
>
> Maybe we could add the waf to rtems_waf and then use a symbolic link in the
> super project, e.g.
>
> waf -> rtems_waf/waf
>
> I am not sure if this works with msys2 and Cygwin.

Yeap symlinks are copies on Windows most of the time.

I think we will need to handle this on a per project (repo) basis. I cannot see
an easy solution if we hold waf in to the repo and removing it creates a
different set of issues such as users needing to a suitable version and the
release process needing to know which version to get and package.