Aligned operations mismatch

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Mon Sep 3 23:26:27 UTC 2018

On Mon, Sep 3, 2018, 6:13 PM Chris Johns <chrisj at rtems.org> wrote:

> On 24/8/18 4:32 am, Mikhail Svetkin wrote:
> > Yes, I use the legacy network stack (I did not know it is legacy, Do you
> have
> > any plans to remove it from source?).
>
> There are no concrete plans however Joel and I have discussed moving the
> legacy
> stack to a separate repo to provide long term support. We understand we
> have
> slow moving users.

Agreed.

> We also understand the complexity separate repos brings to our users and
> to the
> development of RTEMS. I think our ecosystem will need to address this after
> RTEMS 5 is released.

Even beginning to discuss that the old stack should not be used with new
architectures is a difficult discussion. But the x86_64 and RISC-V don't
make sense to use with it. So drawing a circle around what should continue
to work and what should be discouraged is important.

This is one of the main points of maintaining open source. We don't have a
master list of paying users to base decisions on and need users to be open
so we can plan correctly.

I may have missed the beginning of this thread. What architecture and bsp
are you using?

--joel