compile error in RTEMS header when using -std=c99?

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Thu Sep 13 05:39:22 UTC 2018

Hello Alan,

On 12/09/2018 20:45, Cudmore, Alan P. (GSFC-5820) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are building our RTEMS applications with -std=c99 and other
> compiler warning switches.
>
> On the latest RTEMS master and RTEMS 5 toolchain ( from yesterday ),
> when I include the -std=c99 compiler switch, the compilation fails in
> an RTEMS header.

I would not use C99 for multi-threaded programs. C11 is the first C
standard which knows what a thread is.

> Is it not recommended to use the “-std= “ switches when building RTEMS
> applications, or is this something that we should fix? We are able to
> use the “-std=c99” switches in 4.11. I noticed that the timestamp.h
> file did change between 4.11 and 5.x.

Yes, this is a known issue. RTEMS uses now the FreeBSD-specific struct
bintime and sbintime for its internal timestamps. Unfortunately, this
implementation detail is leaked via <rtems.h>. There are several ways to
fix this. We could expose the FreeBSD-specific API unconditionally in
<sys/types.h>. We could also try to hide this implementation detail from
<rtems.h>.

Firstly, if it is supposed to compile <rtems.h> with a particular -std=*
switch, then we should test this.

E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de