RTEMS on ARMv8

Jeff Kubascik Jeff.Kubascik at dornerworks.com
Mon Apr 1 14:08:53 UTC 2019

On 4/1/2019 9:45 AM, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 1, 2019 at 7:54 AM Jeff Kubascik <Jeff.Kubascik at dornerworks.com
> <mailto:Jeff.Kubascik at dornerworks.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 3/28/2019 8:00 AM, Sebastian Huber wrote:
>     > Hello Jeff,
>     >
>     > On 27/03/2019 19:11, Jeff Kubascik wrote:
>     >> Hello,
>     >>
>     >> I am interested in porting RTEMS to run as a Xen guest on our distro for the
>     >> Xilinx Zynq UltraScale+ MPSoC. The MPSoC has an ARM Cortex-A53 processor,
>     which
>     >> is based on the ARMv8 architecture.
>     >>
>     >> I have noticed that RTEMS already runs on a few Zynq 7000 boards.
>     However, those
>     >> are using the Cortex-A9 processor, which is based on the ARMv7 architecture.
>     >> Looking at the source code, I didn't see any ARMv8 cpu code.
>     >>
>     >> I was curious if there has been any work done to port RTEMS to an ARMv8 based
>     >> platform?
>     >
>     > AArch64 is a completely new architecture port. I think nobody is working
>     > on that. We may work on AArch32 support for the Zynq UltraScale+ this year:
>     >
>     > http://devel.rtems.org/ticket/3682
>     >
>     > --
>     > Sebastian Huber, embedded brains GmbH
>     >
>     > Address : Dornierstr. 4, D-82178 Puchheim, Germany
>     > Phone   : +49 89 189 47 41-16
>     > Fax     : +49 89 189 47 41-09
>     > E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
>     <mailto:sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de>
>     > PGP     : Public key available on request.
>     >
>     > Diese Nachricht ist keine geschäftliche Mitteilung im Sinne des EHUG.
>     >

>     Sebastian,
>
>     We were able to hack up the xilinx-zynq BSP to get it running on the Ultra96 in
>     AArch32 mode. Surprisingly, it didn't require too many code changes. Our key
>     findings were
>
>     - Set the CP15BEN bit in the SCTLR register to enable legacy memory barrier
>     system instructions. This is used in the arm-cp15 cache operations.
>     - Clear the TRE bit in the SCTLR register to disable TEX remap. This was causing
>     the page table attributes to show up as strongly ordered, resulting in an
>     unaligned memory exceptions in the newlib memcpy.
>     - Update peripheral addresses, IRQs, clock rates to match the MPSoC.
>     - Update the MMU peripheral region mappings.
>     - Change the system clock source to clock-generic-timer.
>     - Change the cache implementation to cache-cp15.
>
>     With the above changes, we are able to run all the applications under the
>     testsuites/samples directory on the Ultra96 via JTAG boot.
>
>     Over the weekend, I started putting together a new xilinx-zynqmp BSP layer to
> [...]

Yes, all the changes are located inside the BSP layer. However, the Zynq 7000
and the Zynq UltraScale+ MPSoC are notably different platforms, enough that I
believe to warrant a new BSP layer.

Differences include
- System addresses are completely different
- Interrupt numbers are completely different
- Cortex-A53 versus Cortex-A9 - this is why I had to change the timer and cache
implementations
- With the MPSoC, power and reset control is performed by a separate PMU processor

There is still some overlap, for instance both platforms use the same UART
controllers. I'm thinking this could be brought out to bsps/arm/shared/serial.

-Jeff Kubascik