RTEMS on ARMv8

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Tue Apr 2 12:34:17 UTC 2019

On Tue, Apr 2, 2019, 7:21 AM Sebastian Huber <

> On 02/04/2019 14:15, Jeff Kubascik wrote:
> > How capable is the device tree support in RTEMS? I did notice some
> device tree
> > code in the IMX BSP layer, but it appeared to reference fixed nodes.
> Does RTEMS
> > perform driver probing based on the device tree?
>
> The device tree support in RTEMS is quite rudimentary. However, in the
> BSP you don't need much. You just have to deal with the interrupt
> controller, the clock driver and an UART driver. Maybe also I2C and SPI,
> but these are simple things. The more complex drivers are in libbsd
> (USB, MMC/SDCard, Ethernet). Here we have the device tree support from
> FreeBSD. It is not as good as the device tree support from Linux
> especially if it comes down to pins and clocks since this is a real mess
> usually.

Neither of us mentioned licence. We do not accept GPL code in RTEMS because
it is statically linked with applications and this would result in
applications needing to follow the GPL requirements.

The 2 paragraph BSD license is not the preferred license. The historical
RTEMS license is GPLv2 with a linking exclusion. It was based on the GCC
runtimes.

--joel