rtems-libbsd build error

Christian Mauderer christian.mauderer at embedded-brains.de
Wed Apr 10 07:20:35 UTC 2019

Am 09.04.19 um 18:12 schrieb Vijay Kumar Banerjee:
> Hi,
>
> I have imported and ported the the drivers in 2 pairs(import and port)
> of commits
> for each one. Please have a look at this branch
> https://github.com/thelunatic/rtems-libbsd/commits/tda19988

One detail: You have a commit named "tda19988.c: import from FreeBSD".
Please remove the ".c".

Maybe it would be a good idea to split of the I2C part and put it in
front of the other two parts. You can develop and test that independent
with a test that just accesses some of the I2C devices on the board via
the FreeBSD API and the translation driver discussed below.

> I have also tried running the media01.exe and have seen it running fine
> without
> throwing any exceptions.
>
> I have used the fb.c and iicbus.c codes from the freebsd source. From
> what I
> understand, I think the next big steps would be to write an RTEMS
> implementation layer for these portions of the code? And then a test in the
> libbsd, like media01, to write to the /dev/fb0
>
> Can you please help me chalk out a rough outline of the next set of
> actions? :)

As far as I can tell, there are two possible I2C buses here:

1. The one between the AM335x and the TDA19988.

2. The one directly on the HDMI connector (called HDMI_DSCL and
HDMI_DSDA). I assume that's an I2C bus too.

For 1. the RTEMS driver should be used. You'll need some code that
translates the FreeBSD API to the one used in RTEMS. Basically that will
just be a FreeBSD-I2C-driver.

For 2: If that even is an independent I2C bus, you can use the driver
provided by FreeBSD. I don't think that it is necessary to translate to
the RTEMS API here.

> Thanks
>
> On Tue, Apr 9, 2019 at 5:28 AM Chris Johns <chrisj at rtems.org
> <mailto:chrisj at rtems.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 8/4/19 12:30 am, Vijay Kumar Banerjee wrote:
>     > On Sun, Apr 7, 2019 at 6:24 PM Christian Mauderer
>     <list at c-mauderer.de <mailto:list at c-mauderer.de>
>     > <mailto:list at c-mauderer.de <mailto:list at c-mauderer.de>>> wrote:
>     >     Am 07.04.19 um 14:50 schrieb Vijay Kumar Banerjee:
>     >     > On Sun, Apr 7, 2019 at 6:08 PM Christian Mauderer
>     <list at c-mauderer.de <mailto:list at c-mauderer.de>
>     >     <mailto:list at c-mauderer.de <mailto:list at c-mauderer.de>>
>     >     > <mailto:list at c-mauderer.de <mailto:list at c-mauderer.de>
>     <mailto:list at c-mauderer.de <mailto:list at c-mauderer.de>>>> wrote:
>     >     >     Am 07.04.19 um 14:35 schrieb Vijay Kumar Banerjee:
>     >     >     > On Sun, Apr 7, 2019 at 5:37 PM Christian Mauderer
>     >     >     <list at c-mauderer.de <mailto:list at c-mauderer.de>
>     <mailto:list at c-mauderer.de <mailto:list at c-mauderer.de>>
>     >     <mailto:list at c-mauderer.de <mailto:list at c-mauderer.de>
>     <mailto:list at c-mauderer.de <mailto:list at c-mauderer.de>>>
>     >     >     > <mailto:list at c-mauderer.de <mailto:list at c-mauderer.de>
>     <mailto:list at c-mauderer.de <mailto:list at c-mauderer.de>>
>     >     <mailto:list at c-mauderer.de <mailto:list at c-mauderer.de>
>     <mailto:list at c-mauderer.de <mailto:list at c-mauderer.de>>>>> wrote:
>     >     >     >     Am 07.04.19 um 13:08 schrieb Vijay Kumar Banerjee:
>     >
>     >     I don't think that there are a lot of docs for how to test.
>     Although I'm
>     >     sure that there are some scripts to run a number of libbsd
>     tests, I'm
>     >     not sure where. Maybe in the RTEMS tester but I think that is
>     mainly for
>     >     the core tests?
>
>     The documentation for testing can be found here ...
>
>      https://docs.rtems.org/branches/master/user/testing/index.html
>
>     > so far I know, RTEMS Tester is only for core tests.
>
>     The `rtems-test` command checks the for test start and end banners.
>     I am not
>     sure if libbsd supports the test banners. Maybe it could now with
>     Sebastian's
>     movement of the test support code into libtest.
>
>     > I'll ask in the devel if there's some way to run libbsd test with
>     the tester.
>
>     There is the `rtems-run` command which has similar args to
>     `rtems-test`. It does
>     suffer from a limitation I have not fixed which is stdin is not
>     passed through
>     to the console of the target. I also think the command has a timeout
>     running,
>     but I am not sure about this one.
>
>     Chris

embedded brains GmbH