Which Python version for new tool code?

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Fri Aug 2 13:14:22 UTC 2019

On Fri, Aug 2, 2019 at 3:10 AM Sebastian Huber <

> Hello,
>
> the EOL of Python 2.7 is soon, so it will be Python 3 for sure:
>
> https://pythonclock.org/
>
> The EOL of Python 3.4 was March 18, 2019:
>
> https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-3410/
>
> Is it all right to start with Python 3.5?

Sadly, not if we intend to support RHEL 7 until it hits EOL.

https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/errata

That's still the standard Linux in all the big organizations in the US.

$ python --version
Python 2.7.5

FWIW RHEL 8 was only released in May and CentOS hasn't gotten CentOS 8
available yet. I was hoping by now I would have already been trying to use
it.

Even paying RHEL users haven't had long to consider upgrading.

--joel