Which Python version for new tool code?

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Fri Aug 2 21:20:00 UTC 2019

On Fri, Aug 2, 2019 at 12:43 PM Peter Dufault <dufault at hda.com> wrote:

> > On Aug 2, 2019, at 11:28 , Sebastian Huber <
> sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de> wrote:
> >
> >> As best I can tell, no official repository includes Python 3. There are
> >> un-official addon repos
> >> with Python 3.
> >>
> >> The users who are using RHEL 7 are unlikely to allow those repos to be
> used.
> >
> > Puh, this is a bit unexpected. So at least everything related to the
> build system must be Python 2.7 compatible.
> >
> > Doorstop requires Python 3.5:
>
> I’m not sure there are many developers on RHEL7 without access to a Python
> 3 that can be used as part of RTEMS developer tools.   I definitely agree
> there are many who can’t use Python 3 for anything that ships to run on
> RHEL7, but for development Red Hat licensees can use the Red Hat Software
> Collections and someone like me can use EPEL.  Both have 3.5 and 3.6
> available.  I don’t use “software collections” but I did a quick google.

I'm OK with extra repos if you are working on RTEMS but not when using
RTEMS.

A quick google shows Python 3.6 is default in RHEL 8.

Again, I personally plan to attempt to start using CentOS 8 when it is
available. If there are issues, I want to be ahead of the wider user base.
But I also do the opposite and tried to stay on CentOS 6 as long as I
could. At that point, I knew of multiple LARGE institutional Linux users
who had not begun to deploy RHEL/CentOS 7 yet and I didn't want us to leave
them hanging.

Let's ensure there is a clear error when the wrong Python is used if there
is a minimum version.

--joel