Which Python version for new tool code?

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Mon Aug 5 06:07:35 UTC 2019

On 2/8/19 6:10 pm, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> Hello,
>
> the EOL of Python 2.7 is soon, so it will be Python 3 for sure:
>
> https://pythonclock.org/
>
> The EOL of Python 3.4 was March 18, 2019:
>
> https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-3410/
>
> Is it all right to start with Python 3.5?

As a general rule the widest range of versions the better but that sort of
statement is easy to say and a pain to figure out. There needs to be compelling
reason to have just python3 things that are not supported by `future`. Yes the
clock is ticking for Py2 but a timely change means different things to different
people.

Importing a separate package is different. We cannot control what happens with
that package however we can control if that specific tool is made available and
installed. This means such a tool does not effect the other tools that may work.