fenv on RISC-V

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Thu Aug 15 21:57:53 UTC 2019

OK. I am going to through an issue out and then paste another email
from Jim Wilson. Let's see if we can figure this one out portably.

(1) Every architecture now will have an implementation of fenv. It may
be a stub, non-functional fenv implementation. If this is the case, many
methods return "-ENOTSUP". If the test first checks for fegetenv()
returning this, then the architecture has no support. The test could detect
this as a first step and exit.

(2) RISC-V is the only architecture currently with an implementation. It
has very limited support (return 0 mostly) when there is no hardware
floating point. __riscv_flen is defined to 0 for no HW FP, 4 for single
support and 4 for double support (8 coming for 128 bit). RTEMS'
CPU_HARDWARE_FP is always false on this architecture since
this trips code in the cpukit. I don't know how to flag whether the test
should be run or not on this architecture.

(3) According to Jim, there are allowed variations on the exception
method behavior. We may have to account for that.

My first thought is that embedding logic to know if the test applies
or not is a bad idea since we could end up with multiple tests.

Second thought is to add a .h file which contains the architecture
specific logic and a static inline method which reports if the test
should be attempted. Then any test which needs fenv can all it.
The question is would this be good in the cpukit like "rtems/test_fenv.h"?
That way an application could ask questions.

Email from Jim below my signature. I suspect this should migrate to
the CPU Supplement. I'm open to comments on this also.

Thoughts?

--joel

=============================

We have __riscv_float_abi_soft, __riscv_float_abi_single, and
__riscv_float_abi_double which indicate the size of FP registers being
used for argument passing, which can be none, single-float only, or
single-float and double.  We also have __riscv_flen which can be zero
for no float, 32 for single float only, and 64 for single and double
float.  So each one of these has 3 values.  And there is already a
formal 128-bit FP proposal, so at some point each of these will have 4
possible values.  The hardware FP reg size does not have to match the
ABI arg passing FP reg size.  It just needs to be greater than or
equal to it.  So you can have a rv64gc target using the lp64 ABI,
where we have FP regs that can hold double, but we don't use FP regs
for argument passing.  This can be useful for upward compatibility,
e.g. if the first version of the project has no FP regs, and then they
are added later, and you want new code to be ABI compatible with old
code.  So there are 6 different valid combinations of FP hardware reg
size and FP ABI reg size currently, which will grow to 10 when 128-bit
FP support is added.

Note that if you have a single float target, then you will use soft
float support for double, and hard float support for single.  If you
have a single float target, and use the soft float ABI, and have code
that uses float, then you will get code that uses the FP registers for
arithmetic, but not for argument passing.  Also, another interesting
bit here is that the libgcc soft-float code has a check for
__riscv_flen, and will use fcsr for exceptions.  This case triggers if
you have a single float target, and need soft-float double code, in
which case the soft-float double routines will use fcsr to signal
exceptions because it exists.  It will also use it for rounding modes.
But if you have a target with no FP hardware, and need soft-float
double code, then fcsr does not exist, and you get no rounding mode
support and no exception support, though maybe that can be implemented
in the future.  So the soft-float double support may or may not
support rounding and exceptions depending on the target it is compiled
for.