RTEMS Muilti-I/O lib is missing

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Sat Aug 17 17:53:22 UTC 2019

On Fri, Aug 16, 2019, 8:43 PM Chris Johns <chrisj at rtems.org> wrote:

> On 17/8/19 7:02 am, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> > FWIW the repo is git clone git://git.rtems.org/multiio.git
> >
> > More below
> >
> > On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 3:20 PM Wendell Silva <silvawp at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Well, I'm a non-OAR user with at least one customer 100% satisfied with
> multi-io lib.
> >>
> >> Suppose I'm going to championize it, how do I do to get started?
> >
> > I'm glad you are happy with it. I was happy with it on the robotic
> project
> > I did with it.
>
> This repo could be added to the RSB as a package. It has been converted to
> rtems_waf however it would be good to have the support changed from the
> files
> being in the multiio repo to a submodule referring to the rtems_waf repo.
>
> Can the package be built for all BSPs?
>
> It would need to be documented. I was considering adding a Packages
> chapter to
> the User Manual and it could be a section under that chapter.

Personally, I think there are only two things of long-term value in it. A
few shell commands and an interface to access discretes and analogs.

If the interface is just considered a shim layer that an application can
implement, then it is independent of any bsp. A system with multiple IO
cards is abstracted through this by the system integrator.

Is it worth being independent then?

The two drivers in there now are PC-104 so only available to pc386 and
possibly not even compatible with anything you can buy now. One was based
on a single chip solution so may be available in later incarnations and for
other buses. No idea though.

I don't mind treating it as a small package either. If we want to show how
one should be done, this is small enough to be an example.