Beagle: FDT support in BSP as a GSoC project?

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Sun Aug 18 23:21:16 UTC 2019

On 16/8/19 5:26 pm, Christian Mauderer wrote:
> On 15/08/2019 23:01, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>> All I meant by "not all drivers" and "small" is that we currently do
>> not include code that
>> the application doesn't have a need for. I don't want that to change.
>> If the application
>> doesn't use i2c or the frame buffer, then those drivers shouldn't' be
>> there. I wasn't
>> attempting to create a new requirement -- just emphasize what we already do
>> shouldn't change.
>>
>> --joel
>
> Hello Joel,
>
> if we have an FDT based initialization it's not really possible to say
> whether (for example) I2C or framebuffer is used during compile and link
> time. That depends on the FDT passed from U-Boot to the application and
> is only decided during boot.
>
> We have three possibilities to solve that:
>
> - Use dynamic loading (like Chris suggested) for driver modules. On the
> beagle it would be necessary to load from a SD card or a similar storage
> which already needs lots of initialization. So I don't think that's a
> good solution.

Yes, this would open up a complex dependency issue and I am not sure if that is
worth the effort. However I would assume the base FreeBSD code would be set up
to handle doing this? The media driver and file system would need to be present
but we would need something like `/etc/fstab` to allow the mounts to made so a
`/boot/loader.conf` type file can be parsed and the modules loaded. Hmmm.

> - Add a module concept similar to the one used in libbsd. That would
> mean that an application can use defines like the
> SYSINIT_DRIVER_REFERENCE to tell the linker which drivers to add. Note
> that for libbsd drivers (framebuffer, ethernet, USB, SD-Card) that's
> already there. As far as I know there is no such concept for any BSP in
> RTEMS core yet.
>
> - Add all drivers from the RTEMS core and just be careful to make it
> simple to remove them by overwriting only a single function.
>
> Like I said although the second option might would be the cleaner one I
> would prefer the last option.

Agreed.

> In the core system there are only the
> basic peripherals like SPI or I2C. I don't think that they add that much
> overhead for FDT based BSPs. But I think it's a huge advantage for a new
> user if he doesn't have to add these (BSP specific) peripherals to a BSP
> specific config.
>
> By the way: I think it's good to discuss that. And it's a good point
> that should be on the list for a project like this. It can be a big part
> of the work depending on what solution we agree on.

+1

Chris