New Build System Status

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Wed Dec 4 04:11:16 UTC 2019

On 3/12/19 5:16 pm, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> On 02/12/2019 23:24, Chris Johns wrote:

>>> We are talking here about the "./waf bsp_defaults" command. I think it is
>>> perfectly fine to output nothing if there is nothing to output. This is the
>>> normal UNIX style. What happens if you grep for something which doesn't exits?
>>> Anyway, I changed the command like this:
>>>
>>> $ ./waf bsp_defaults --rtems-specs=spec/build/cpukit
>>> # The build specification contains no BSPs
>>>
>>> $ ./waf bsp_defaults --rtems-bsps=foobar,perfection
>>> # No BSP matches with the specified patterns: 'foobar', 'perfection'
>> Unix commands often cannot change because of the things users have built up
>> around them. It does not mean what is provided is the right way. What we are
>> discussing is going to be around a long time and we need to examine the detail
>> so we can avoid breaking users with changes.
>>
>> In the case of grep it's default if no file names are provided is to read
>> string. I do not think it relates.
>>
>> As I said before it makes scripting and tooling around the command problematic
>> and complicated.
>
> Could you please give an example, why the no output if there is nothing to
> output makes scripting and tooling complicated? If you search for the empty set
> you get it.

1. I see this being equivalent to a compiler or linker creating it's output file
with 0 length on any error and you need to check the length to know there has
been an error.

2. In a script `set -e` catches errors, this would be broken and you need to add
extra "stuff" to hack around this and also means if you actually knew things
worked this way. Most people would assume an error and I think this is reasonable.

3. In python you need to have code to handle a non-zero exit code from a
subprocess call and in this single case you need add more code to check the
output length being 0 then convert that to "you have an invalid BSP name".

I would like to see an exit code that is non-zero for all errors and an invalid
BSP name is an error.

>>> Yes, but apparently not good enough. I will try to fix this.
>> Great.

>>> You get the options with default values via "./waf bsp_defaults". You should
>>> only set options for which you don't like the default value. For example, some
>>> BSPs allow you to set the initial value of some registers, e.g.
>>>
>>> # initial BUCSR value
>>> QORIQ_INITIAL_BUCSR = 0x01400201
>>>
>>> Lets suppose a chip errata appears and it says you have to set the undocumented
>>> bit 31 to activate an errata workaround. You change the value in the build
>>> specification to 0x81400201 in the RTEMS sources. Everyone who did a
>>>
>>> ./waf bsp_defaults --rtems-bsps=xxx  > config.ini
>>>
>>> will not profit from this bug fix.
>> I understand this however my next question was ...

>> Often a BSP is based on the developers set up and a specific project. This is a
>> fair thing to do and I fine with that happening. A number of "defaults" are
>> actually "settings" for a project. In the case of the example you give above if
>> that register already has a local setting for another reason that RTEMS has not
>> adopted you have a conflict that needs to be exposed and resolved. We will never
>> achieve a unified set of defaults.
>
> Ok, it seems there are counter examples for everything if it comes to BSP
> configuration.

Yes.

>> The issue I am attempting to address is present no matter what solution you
>> provide. I am wondering if in time we need to add some sort of diff and conflict
>> resolution tool so a user can see how they stand against the defaults in any
>> release we make? We cannot solve the problem however we can provide a standard
>> way our users can.
>
> Adding a diff command would be easy, but I don't think we should overburden the
> new build system with features before it is in wide spread use.

Yes this is a good point however there is a balance we need to find. We also
need to establish an interface, a command line API if you prefer, we can
document and maintain over a long period of time. The issue with outside things
is a subtle dependence that grows around things that maybe internal and if this
becomes important we may not able change something. I am not saying in this case
it is true, I do not know. If an option is provided and a standard output format
 generate we have an API and what we do internally does not matter.

> You can already do it with the existing command:
>
> ./waf bsp_defaults --rtems-bsps=somebsp > defaults.ini
> diff -u myconfig.ini defaults.ini

Sure. I suggest we formally document this. Doing so serves the purpose of
indicating there is an issue here users need to be mindful of and it provides a
simple command for them to use.