Split up confdefs.h into multiple header files?

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Thu Dec 5 14:07:21 UTC 2019

On Thu, Dec 5, 2019 at 7:56 AM Sebastian Huber <

> Hello,
>
> the next thing I would like to work on is a specification of the
> application configuration (e.g. confdefs.h defines).
>
> The confdefs.h header file is quite big and difficult to review. What do
> you think about splitting this file into smaller parts, so that
> confdefs.h consists of something like this:
>
> #include <rtems/config/classictask.h>
> #include <rtems/config/classicsema.h>
> #include <rtems/config/bdbuf.h>
> #include <rtems/config/posixthread.h>
>
> ?

I think this MIGHT be a good idea. But I think you might want to
look at the top and bottom of the file first. What files will instantiate
the
data structures? There is also some error checking at the bottom
which probably could be a sub-file.

Will there be logic to prevent including them from any other file?

What about file system configuration?

Once you decompose that, will there actually be enough content to
justify a file per manager/capability? I understand this makes it easier
to track to a manager.

Where do user init task/threads go?

Just random thoughts? I can see "capability" or "area" oriented files
but going down to a manager feels too fine grain.

--joel