Application Configuration Tests?

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Fri Dec 6 11:26:57 UTC 2019

On Fri, Dec 6, 2019, 1:48 AM Sebastian Huber <

> Hello,
>
> we have about 147 documented configuration options (see attached file).
> We probably need a test case for the minimum, default, and maximum
> value. Some defines have boolean values. Lets assume three test cases
> per option. So, about 500 tests. Should we use full test programs which
> run on the target for the tests or should I try to use C preprocess or
> compile only tests? For example we could C preprocess a file and then
> grep for a certain pattern. We could also compile the configuration file
> and use GDB to pretty print the relevant data structures and then
> compare it with a pattern.

If this can be tested compile only, that would be good by me.

There may be some which are not documented but should be. I recall running
across one recently. I don't remember if that got fixed or not.

I think own configuration for many items can be deleted. Driver, init
task/thread, and extension table may be the only ones that make sense
anymore.

--joel