Problem running RTEMS on raspberrypi3

Niteesh gsnb.gn at gmail.com
Sun Dec 15 08:05:13 UTC 2019

I am trying to get RTEMS examples running on the RPI3, the RPI3 is similar
to RPI2 so the examples built for RPI2 should technically run on the
RPi3.But they don't :(, I am really sure of what is causing the problem.
I followed the steps from
http://alanstechnotes.blogspot.com/2013/03/running-your-first-rtems-program-on.html
(modified
commands to use rtems5) to build the kernel img. I did try running it on
Qemu but it doesn't always work, sometimes it gives weird output.
The steps that I followed are:
1. Created a bootable SD card using raspbian.
2. Replaced the kernel.img file with RTEMS kernel.img file and modified the
config.txt to boot from the RTEMs kernel (boots in aarch32 bit mode).
I am still not able to wrap my head around the RPI bsp build process. This
is what I understood as of now, correct me if I am wrong.
Both RPi and Rpi2 are based on the same BSP, they just differ in the
peripheral offsets, hardcoded checks are used to select the right offset at
the time of compiling and the linkercmd file is responsible for building
the final executable file.
I looked at the linker script, it seem's to have the start section at
address 0x200000, I also loaded it in GDB and the start address is *Start
address 0x200080,* I did some bare metal programming on RPI3 there I had
the start section at address 0x8000 Is this causing the problem?
I have no idea on how to debug this, any suggestion on how to start would
be really helpfull.