New Build System Ready for Integration

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Tue Dec 17 06:16:07 UTC 2019

On 04/12/2019 09:58, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> On 04/12/2019 09:51, Chris Johns wrote:
>>> Is there anything else open which prevents us from merging in the new
>>> build system?
>> I am about to head to Huntsville to see Joel and I would like to
>> discuss this
>> with him. He is out of town at the moment so lets please just wait a
>> week or so
>> and let Joel and I digest this.
>
> This is fine, I just want to avoid sitting on a patch adding 2000 files
> for longer than absolutely necessary.

What is now the plan for the new build system integration? It seems the
RTEMS 5 release is getting closer. Should we ship the release with the
new build system (not documented or documented in parallel with the old
build system in the user manual)? I guess we will maintain the old build
system for a while, so having both build systems in the RTEMS 5 branch
and the master would make back ports easier since you can use git
cherry-pick without getting conflicts in the build files. Having it on
the release branch may help to get a bit more testing from the user
side. A big disadvantage is that if we have to massively rework the new
build system we may have to back port these changes to the release branch.

Independent of this, can I push the documentation changes in the RTEMS
Software Engineering manual (not the User Manual)?

E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de