What do you want to study in GSOC 2020?

Niteesh gsnb.gn at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 06:25:55 UTC 2019

On Mon, Dec 30, 2019 at 4:44 AM Peter Dufault <dufault at hda.com> wrote:

> Niteesh, what do you want to study?  Go over what most interests you most
> about working in a real-time environment like RTEMS, and not about working
> on the RPI, and look at the earlier GSOC projects. Propose an ideal project
> for yourself and get some feedback.

 I love learning about how the software and hardware interact, I have been
programming from 9th grade and have a wide variety of interests(networking,
app development). But recently I took a course called nandtotetris were we
build an 8bit computer from scratch, we start with NAND gates and finally
finish with a Tetris game. Low-level software, systems programming, and
operating systems are always quite fascinating for me. While learning about
operating systems, I came across the concepts of real-time systems. Back
then arduino was the only hardware I was having while searching for an RTOS
to play with, I came across RTEMS. RTOS was harder for me to grasp but were
always interesting, being a critical part of a system, I always wanted to
learn how they worked from inside. That's what bought me to contributing to
RTOS.
I wanted to contribute to core of RTEMS, but it was a bit complex for me to
understand, so I started with driver development for RTEMS.
After going through some of the previous GSOC projects, BSP development and
real-time tracing are what I find interesting. While also converting the
console driver of rpi to FDT based one, *Christian Mauderer *explained how
FDT worked in FreeBSD and Linux, and RTEMS lacked that infrastructure, I
have no idea of how hard it would it, and if I am even capable of
developing it. But one proposal would be to build the FDT infrastructure
similar to FreeBSD or Linux and have the driver's probe and attach to the
hardware.