What do you want to study in GSOC 2020?

Niteesh gsnb.gn at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 14:45:39 UTC 2019

On Mon, Dec 30, 2019 at 7:14 PM Christian Mauderer <list at c-mauderer.de>
wrote:

> On 30/12/2019 07:25, Niteesh wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, Dec 30, 2019 at 4:44 AM Peter Dufault <dufault at hda.com
> > <mailto:dufault at hda.com>> wrote:
> >

> >     Niteesh, what do you want to study?  Go over what most interests you
> >     most about working in a real-time environment like RTEMS, and not
> >     about working on the RPI, and look at the earlier GSOC projects.
> >     Propose an ideal project for yourself and get some feedback.
>
> Peter: Thanks for starting that discussion. I started to focus too much
> on the running topics about small stuff that can be done as a preparation.
>

> >  I love learning about how the software and hardware interact, I have
> > been programming from 9th grade and have a wide variety of
> > interests(networking, app development). But recently I took a course
> > called nandtotetris were we build an 8bit computer from scratch, we
> > start with NAND gates and finally finish with a Tetris game.
>
> That sounds like a really nice course. Most likely is ended in a bigger
> pile of circuit boards to have a running processor ;-)

It is a free course on coursera
https://www.coursera.org/learn/build-a-computer/home/welcome
do check it out. It's completely simulated in software. But planning to
build it on PCB.

> > Low-level
> > software, systems programming, and operating systems are always quite
> > fascinating for me. While learning about operating systems, I came
> > across the concepts of real-time systems. Back then arduino was the only
> > hardware I was having while searching for an RTOS to play with, I came
> > across RTEMS. RTOS was harder for me to grasp but were always
> > interesting, being a critical part of a system, I always wanted to learn
> > how they worked from inside. That's what bought me to contributing to
> RTOS.
> > I wanted to contribute to core of RTEMS, but it was a bit complex for me
> > to understand, so I started with driver development for RTEMS.
>
> That's where I started too. But don't hesitate to pick a more complex
> topic if you are interested in it. From what I've seen you can read and
> understand existing code quite fast compared to some other GSoC students
> we had. So I would say that you have a good chance to manage complex
> topics too.

Thank you, it's quite good to hear.

> > After going through some of the previous GSOC projects, BSP development
> > and real-time tracing are what I find interesting. While also converting
> > the console driver of rpi to FDT based one, *Christian Mauderer
> > *explained how
> > FDT worked in FreeBSD and Linux, and RTEMS lacked that infrastructure, I
> > have no idea of how hard it would it, and if I am even capable of
> > developing it. But one proposal would be to build the FDT infrastructure
> > similar to FreeBSD or Linux and have the driver's probe and attach to
> > the hardware.
>
> We start to have more and more FDT based BSPs. So it would be great if
> our infrastructure would improve. But like I said: Don't hesitate to
> pick any other topic. Device drivers (and similar) are low hanging fruit
> where it is easy to get success and it isn't very likely to start long
> tedious discussions because you only touch one BSP. Therefore I tend to
> suggest them for GSoC. But GSoC isn't limited to that.
>
> So if you would like to work at any other topic like (for example)
> porting a new architecture, hacking on some scheduler, do something with
> the dynamic linking support, add stuff to the libdebugger, or basically
> anything else: Just ask whether someone knows a topic in that area or is
> interested in mentoring one you suggest. Most likely the mailing list
> will become quite a bit more active again in about a week.

Once I finish with the raspberry pi, I will try to port RTEMS for esp32. I
have that board,
It has quite a lot of features and really good documentation. It is based
on xtensa CPU.
https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/TBR/UserManual/SupportedCPUs and is under
RTEMS potential port.