'pax' is missing from list of required-packages, for host setup, for Arch Linux, in the documentation

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Fri Feb 22 16:03:41 UTC 2019

On Fri, Feb 22, 2019 at 2:30 AM Vaibhav Gupta <vaibhavgupta40 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I will create patch and send it to mailing list.
>
> On Fri, 22 Feb, 2019, 1:02 PM Sebastian Huber <
> sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de wrote:

>> it is also
>> install it
>> > That seems unusual because it is defined here ..
>> >
>> > https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/utilities/pax.html
>>
>> It is not installed by default on all Linux distributions I worked with.
>>
>> Maybe we should just check in the archive used by the test suite and not
>> use pax at all. We want to test RTEMS and not the host pax program.

It is small so not a huge burden. pax could be required by maintainer mode.

Someone asked why it is needed and not a basic tar. I recall someone with a
networked
development host where their user ID was very large. Basic tar couldn't
handle that.
I think it was a Mac host and the user ID had six decimal digits.

--joel