RTEMS Software Engineering Handbook

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Fri Jan 4 07:51:37 UTC 2019

On 03/01/2019 17:29, Joel Sherrill wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 3, 2019 at 5:33 AM Sebastian Huber
> <sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
> <mailto:sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de>> wrote:
>
>     Hello Joel,
>
>     On 19/12/2018 13:21, Sebastian Huber wrote:
>     > I am not sure if the copyright notice of the new RTEMS Software
>     > Engineering Handbook is correct:
>     >
>     >     COPYRIGHT (c) 1988 - 2015.
>     >     On-Line Applications Research Corporation (OAR).
>     >     COPYRIGHT (c) 2016-2018.
>     >     RTEMS Foundation, The RTEMS Documentation Project
>     >     License:
>     >     Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International
>     Public
>     > License
>     > https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/legalcode
>     >
>     > I also think that you need a copyright assignment (similar to
>     the FSF
>     > copyright assignment) from the authors/copyright
>     holders/contributors
>     > to the RTEMS Foundation to place something like this into a file:
>     >
>     > .. comment SPDX-License-Identifier: CC-BY-SA-4.0
>     >
>     > .. COMMENT: COPYRIGHT (c) 2018.
>     > .. COMMENT: RTEMS Foundation, The RTEMS Documentation Project
>

> I was going to take the OAR lines off.

The OAR copyright is fine, since the "The authors have used their best
efforts" is a copy and paste from cpright.texi.

> But since the content came from the Wiki,
> there is no easy way to know who wrote what. Any ideas?

I have no idea under which license the current wiki content is. Most
content is from the old wiki, what is the status here? Wikipedia has
this text

"Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike
License
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Text_of_Creative_Commons_Attribution-ShareAlike_3.0_Unported_License>;
additional terms may apply. By using this site, you agree to the Terms
of Use <https://foundation.wikimedia.org/wiki/Terms_of_Use> and Privacy
Policy <https://foundation.wikimedia.org/wiki/Privacy_policy>.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
<https://www.wikimediafoundation.org/>, a non-profit organization."

on most content pages. I think we should add a similar text to the wiki
and the ticket system. We have no terms of use for example.

> FWIW I can't build pdf for the docs and spent time yesterday tracking
> it down.
> It is not the same issue Chris is battling. I have three computers
> with Sphinx 1.6,
> 1.7, and 1.8. All can build PDF if you go back before a particular
> commit. Today I
> was going to locally revert that and see if it solves things for me.

I only have problems with Sphinx 1.8.2 and later.

>     it would be nice if the copyright issues could be resolved. Scott
>     Zemerick is not mentioned in the new document. Is this all right?
>

> No. We should add something near the front thanking him for the work
> that led to the initial outline and link to his FSW 2017 presentation.
>
> What is there now is a format conversion from the wiki into Scott's
> outline
> with minor adjustments from me to pick up a few pages he missed. The
> next content steps should be:
>
> + Make sure the Rest matches the wiki
> + Eliminate the Wiki page and references to it. Make the Rest the master
>
> Yes. Change it to Guide to be consistent.
>
> Then work on updating and improving.  I think the code coverage theory
> stuff in the wiki is a good candidate for this.

Sounds good.

>     What
>     was the license of the original wiki content? Who assigned a
>     copyright
>     to the RTEMS Foundation? How was it assigned?
>

> Just boilerplate at the top. What do you want to do?  No assignments were
> made.

If nobody assigned a copyright to the RTEMS Foundation, then this notice
is superfluous from my point of view.

E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de