Conversion of BSP config files to pkg-config files

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Tue Jan 22 00:59:38 UTC 2019

On 21/1/19 10:46 pm, Vijay Kumar Banerjee wrote:

> I want to work on the ticket #3302 <https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/3302> as a
> summer project.

Great.

> The goal of the project is to convert the BSP cfg files from `make` format to the
> pkg-config (.pc) format.

The goal is to be able to *create* complete and useful .pc files. I am not sure
if the RTEMS build system could be turned around to use .pc, it may, but until
then I suggest we convert the .cfg files in the BSPS to .pc files.

> The approach would be to first make all the flags and
> Makefile macros used in the bsp .cfg files, consistent. Since the problem is
> complex and a huge number of files are there to deal with, I'll first manually
> look into a few bsps and then move forward to write a parser in python
> to parse and compare the .cfg files of different BSPs. Once we get a consistent
> format for the .cfg files, we'll move on to generate the .pc files for the bsps.

This seems like a sensible approach.

> I seek some guidance and discussion on the project to get started with it.

I think the first step is to look at the existing .cfg files and to see what is
happening. It will take time and is a bit boring but I feel you will quickly see
which ones have major differences. I lot of files are copies so I suspect they
will fall into patterns or groups.