RTEMS Executive vs. Kernel

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Tue Jan 22 18:34:12 UTC 2019

I don't object.

However, if you go back in time to the early RTEMS days, executive and
kernel were used interchangeably. Both were less full-featured than what
was called an OS back in those days. Now that RTEMS has file systems,
networking, etc, it is proper under those old conventions to use OS for
RTEMS now but the concurrency and synchronization minimal subset is an
executive/kernel.

But executive is better than kernel now as a term. Executives focus on
services related to managing a thread set.

--joel