PowerPC (psim) CPU_FLAGS

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Fri Jan 25 01:09:53 UTC 2019

Hi,

The psim CPU_CFLAGS are:

 CPU_CFLAGS = -meabi -mcpu=603e -msdata=sysv -fno-common

An audit of the CU flags in `hello.exe` [1] shows:

 1) -mcall-sysv -meabi -mcpu=603e -msdata=sysv -g -O2 -fno-common
 2) -mcpu=603e -g -g -g -O2 -O2 -O2 -fbuilding-libgcc -fno-stack-protector \
    -fexceptions -fnon-call-exceptions -fvisibility=hidden
 3) -mcpu=603e -mcpu=603e -g -O2

This means some object files in the executable are using the default settings in
GCC and some are using explicit settings that effect the ABI.

Can these be safely mixed or are the CPU_FLAGS just reflecting the defaults? If
so why provide them in the psim .cfg file?

Note, it is not apparent if the default for gcc is `-meabi` and I cannot
anything in our documentation that says what it is. I can only assume it is.

Thanks
Chris

[1] rtems-exeinfo -vvvvvv \
     -a ./powerpc-rtems5/c/psim/testsuites/libtests/hello.exe | grep "] GNU"