RTEMS Software Engineering Handbook

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Thu Jan 3 16:29:50 UTC 2019

On Thu, Jan 3, 2019 at 5:33 AM Sebastian Huber <

> Hello Joel,
>
> On 19/12/2018 13:21, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> > I am not sure if the copyright notice of the new RTEMS Software
> > Engineering Handbook is correct:
> >
> >     COPYRIGHT (c) 1988 - 2015.
> >     On-Line Applications Research Corporation (OAR).
> >     COPYRIGHT (c) 2016-2018.
> >     RTEMS Foundation, The RTEMS Documentation Project
> >     License:
> >     Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International Public
> > License
> > https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/legalcode
> >
> > I also think that you need a copyright assignment (similar to the FSF
> > copyright assignment) from the authors/copyright holders/contributors
> > to the RTEMS Foundation to place something like this into a file:
> >
> > .. comment SPDX-License-Identifier: CC-BY-SA-4.0
> >
> > .. COMMENT: COPYRIGHT (c) 2018.
> > .. COMMENT: RTEMS Foundation, The RTEMS Documentation Project

I was going to take the OAR lines off. But since the content came from the
Wiki,
there is no easy way to know who wrote what. Any ideas?

FWIW I can't build pdf for the docs and spent time yesterday tracking it
down.
It is not the same issue Chris is battling. I have three computers with
Sphinx 1.6,
1.7, and 1.8. All can build PDF if you go back before a particular commit.
Today I
was going to locally revert that and see if it solves things for me.

> it would be nice if the copyright issues could be resolved. Scott
> Zemerick is not mentioned in the new document. Is this all right?

No. We should add something near the front thanking him for the work
that led to the initial outline and link to his FSW 2017 presentation.

What is there now is a format conversion from the wiki into Scott's outline
with minor adjustments from me to pick up a few pages he missed. The
next content steps should be:

+ Make sure the Rest matches the wiki
+ Eliminate the Wiki page and references to it. Make the Rest the master

Yes. Change it to Guide to be consistent.

Then work on updating and improving.  I think the code coverage theory
stuff in the wiki is a good candidate for this.

> What
> was the license of the original wiki content? Who assigned a copyright
> to the RTEMS Foundation? How was it assigned?

Just boilerplate at the top. What do you want to do?  No assignments were
made.