RSB: Why is "/usr" the default prefix?

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Fri Jan 11 15:30:16 UTC 2019

On Fri, Jan 11, 2019, 8:45 AM Sebastian Huber <
sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de wrote:

> ----- Am 11. Jan 2019 um 15:38 schrieb Sebastian Huber
> sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > why is "/usr" the default prefix? RTEMS does not belong to the host
> system. I
> > think it should be "/opt"
> >
> > http://refspecs.linuxbase.org/FHS_3.0/fhs/ch03s13.html#purpose14
> >
> > or "/usr/local"
> >
> > http://refspecs.linuxbase.org/FHS_3.0/fhs/ch04s09.html#purpose24
>
> Sorry, I mean why is it "/usr" on Linux.
>
> Another question, the user manual says in the prefixes section:
>
> "A further reason not to use the standard prefix is to allow more than one
> version of RTEMS to exist on your host machine at a time. The autoconf and
> automake tools required by RTEMS are not versioned and vary between the
> various versions of RTEMS. If you use a single prefix such as the standard
> prefix there is a chance parts from a package of different versions may
> interact. This should not happen but it can."
>
> I think this is quite inconvenient from RSB to use such a prefix. Why
> can't it use OS standard prefix (e.g. "/opt" or "/usr/local") + rtems +
> version, e.g. "/opt/rtems/5" by default? You still have the root permission
> problem, but the we get rid of the conflicting versions stuff.

That's essentially what I always do. /opt is a very old convention I
remember using on Solaris. Texlive installs there. Personally, I would
recommend /opt/rtems/version or something off a home directory that is
similar. Again, personally, I create a directory
$HOME/rtems-XXX/tools/version where XXX indicates a project or purpose. I
add nothing to my PATH until I commit to working in that RTEMS instance.
This let's me keep normal work separate from new class instances away from
customer project instances.

Forn5heb